Visit Iglesias - Church of San Domenico

Church of San Domenico

The bishop N. Canavera, from th Iglesias (early 17 C.), wanted to have his Episcopal emblem on the lintel of this church. A 1613 bequest by the priest M. F. Canavera annexed a convent of Dominicans to the church, upon the friars' commitment to teach poor children for free. The clear late-Gothic appearance of the building is a stylistic reprise of a Sardinian artistic production marking the end of 1500- beginning of 1600. The façade, outlined by a flat roofing with sawteeth crenellation, refers to Catalan models. The portal is enframed by Corinthian columns; the lintel is surmounted by a trilobate arch with a small window. Two little columns on either sides support a small tympanum. Inside, the single-nave hall is divided into four bays by pointed arches springing from pillars of trachyte ashlars. On the right side of the entrance is a white marble holy-water font of 1611, bearing bishop Canavera's heraldic sign.

Several gravestones were inserted along the nave walls. Four side chapels open along the walls. They are all barrel vaulted, except for the one dedicated to the Virgin of the Assumption, which has got a pavilion dome. Built in 1641 by the Confraternity of the Rosary, this chapel was used by the sodality for their meetings. Then, in 1699, a house adjacent to the right side of the edifice was ceded to the brothers to use it as their Oratory. The first chapel on the left presents a marble altar with a statue of San Domenico. Three niches host the simulacra of the Virgin of the Defence, of San Biagio and Sant'Anna. The chapels on the right were built 1910-1926. The th first one hosts a Crucifix; in a side niche is a 17 -C. wooden polychrome statue of St. V. Ferrer. The other chapel, featured as a grotto, is dedicated to the Virgin of Lourdes.

Interestingly, this church does not have a presbytery, as it had been completely demolished to build a street. The arch once opening to the presbytery is now closed by a bottom wall. th th The current altar was placed there between 19 -20 C. Its central niche guards the simulacrum of San Domenico. The underside of the triumphal arch, marked by rectangular panels, is decorated by Renaissance motifs, very similar to those of the church dedicated to the Virgin of Graces. A fine stone lavabo in the annexed sacristy shows a lobated rim, adorned in the outside, and a rosette with rough images of water animals. The small basin is supported by a large basement featuring a demon with two wide wings. It is impossible to avoid touching it to get to the holy water, so this simple act carries a symbolic meaning. th th The sacristy guards a canvas dating 16 -17 C., representing the Holiest Trinity.

Galleria